KPS WINS THE BEST LOCAL MANUFACTURES STAND AT THE MOMBASA INTERNATIONAL SHOW
By Pili Chimerah
Kenya Prisons Service (KPS) has triumphed in the Mombasa International Show after winning a trophy for the Best Local Manufactures Stand (Non-consumable).
Presenting the awards was HE the Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua who also officially opened the Show.
The Mombasa International Show was held from 6th – 10th September 2023.
Receiving the trophy was the State Department for Correctional Services Principal Secretary Ms. Salome M. Beacco accompanied by the Commissioner General of Prisons Brg (Rtd) John Warioba and the Coast Regional Prisons Commander Nicholas Mwandau, Deputy Commissioner of Prisons.
KPS also attained 2nd position in the Stand that best interprets current show theme (Government Stand) and 3rd position in the best tertiary level education institution stand other than University.
The PS took the DP around the KPS stand where different products made by inmates as part of the rehabilitation programs were being showcased.
The products that were exhibited included durable and high-quality furniture, products made from beadwork, metalwork and textile, farm produce harvested from the different prison farms, and different species of tree seedlings. All the exhibited products were open for members of the public to purchase.
The stand was divided into various sections such as:
- The welfare section, demonstrating how the inmates' welfare is being taken care of while they are in prison.
- ICT section, demonstrating how inmates attend court through virtual sessions.
- The religious sections, demonstrating that freedom of worship is being observed for those in incarceration.
- Human rights section, demonstrating that the department upholds the rights of the inmates to live in dignity while incarcerated
- Medical section, demonstrating that healthcare provision is fundamental to the management of inmates.
The DP and the PS were impressed by the quality of the items exhibited.
Edited by Humphrey Young
Photo: Patrick Ambani